“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Monday, February 14, 2011

For My Valentine

All dressed up, sitting in a dimly lit restaurant, eating a delicious meal while engaged in witty conversation, and gazing across the table at my handsome husband...well, a girl can dream, right?

Instead, my handsome husband is at work, and I am gazing at my house that is in need of some serious attention. My delicious meal this evening has been a yogurt and caffeine free Coke, and I'm currently wearing my pajamas, looking more like a frumpy house wife than ever.

Although we don't get to celebrate our Valentine's Day in the style I might wish, I do want to say a few things for my Valentine.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning said it so well in her sonnet.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.


My favorite line is:

I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!


The last few years have been rough, but I can't imagine surviving it without you! Somehow, we have withstood pressure that could have broken us; instead, I think we're stronger for it. I love you and miss you this Valentine's evening, and maybe, just maybe, someday we'll get to have the quiet dinner.

Happy Valentine's Day!
Bethany

1 comment: