“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful

This year, we're mostly ignoring the holiday season. If you know me, then you know that this is one of my favorite times of year. I'm one of those people who likes to blend the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons by putting my tree up early and listening to Christmas music in November. There's not much I enjoy any better than having a nice, holiday scented candle burning, drinking hot chocolate, and planning family get-togethers. This year, I'm just not feeling too festive, and so there are no decorations or plans to put any up at the Hoskins' home, and today on Thanksgiving, my family members are scattered about rather than under one roof as I would like.

However, despite my lack of keeping up with traditions, I still have so much to be thankful for today! A lot has changed in one year; this time last year we only recently found out we had another baby on the way. Now, we have a beautiful, healthy baby girl who I just love to pieces! Last year, Avery's diagnosis and prognosis was completely different. And even though it was a tough year getting to this point, he now has new bone marrow that is starting to graft. I'm especially grateful to the young man who shared part of his healthy cells with Avery.

I've always been thankful for my husband, but each year seems to bring out something different in him that I appreciate. I feel like we have been through so much over the last few years and that our relationship has been put to the test! He has been a rock amidst chaos. Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with Phillip Douglas Hoskins!

I've been blessed with many material things, which in light of what has been going on in our life, I have realized mean so much less than I once thought. But I'm so glad that we have such a nice home...nothing fancy, but cozy and filled with love. We have plenty of food, my husband has a good, stable job, which means a lot in this economy! I'm even thankful for my not-so-cool minivan, but it is oh-so-practical and dependable! :)

I sat down a few days ago to write a thank you card to the young man who shared his healthy cells with Avery, and once I wrote "Dear Bone Marrow Donor," I was at a complete loss for words. Because of privacy laws, we're not allowed to know his name or location, and in my thank you card, I wasn't allowed to share any personal details that might compromise our or his anonymity. But I just kept thinking that simply saying, "thank you" for such a selfless, life-changing gift seemed so insignificant. I tried to express our gratitude to the young man as best as I could, but as I closed my note, I still felt like I had fallen so short. Then I started thinking about Jesus and the sacrifice He made for a fallen world full of sinful people who he didn't even know. He didn't just give his bone marrow; He gave his life. Saying "thank you" for that sacrifice seems insignificant as well, but I don't want to ever fail to try to let him know how thankful I am for the sacrifice He made and the gift of eternal life!

Happy Thanksgiving, Friends!
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment