“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Fresh Start

Autumn is officially here, and I'm so looking forward to the next few months.  I don't think I have a "favorite" season; I look forward to each one for different reasons, but more so this year than ever!  This time last year we were getting our business in order for Avery's long hospital stay and bone marrow transplant.  We tried to prepare ourselves, but there is simply no way to fully do so.  When the days were long and painful, we were told by our nurses, doctors, social worker, and fellow BMT families to focus on the future...to envision this time next year.  Well, I took that advice to heart, and I think that's the only thing that kept me sane some days.  My plan for the next year, or two, or fifty...is to make the most of every moment and enjoy the time I have with my family! 

You'll probably get sick of hearing my "this time last year" stories, but I just can't describe just how difficult, stressful, scary, lonely, and exhausting the last year has been.  Well, it has been pretty stressful for several years as Avery's health declined and we became busier trying to keep up with his symptoms and our worry grew as to what was going to happen.  But the past is the past.  Today is a blessing, and as the leaves are starting to change and the air is getting that distinct crisp, fall feel, it seems like a fresh start in more ways than one.

Yesterday, Avery went into clinic for a check-up and labs.  I never cease to be amazed by "normal" blood counts.  Sure, his white cells are still coming in, his platelets aren't quite in the normal range, and is liver panel is elevated, but with time, those should regulate.  His hemoglobin is 15!!  Wow!  That's actually a little high. :-)  His ANC was over 6000.  Numbers like that make me want to tell anybody who will listen.

Today I had a chance to thoroughly clean my house, which should last about 10 minutes if I'm lucky.  I put a fall scent in my candle warmer and just enjoyed this cool, rainy, fall day.  I know that sounds completely ordinary and unexciting to some of you folks, but it means so much to me!  Since we've been home, my husband can vouch for the fact that I've been cooking and baking like I never have before.  Some of that is due to us not being able to be out and about, but it's mostly because after 8 months of fast food, hospital cafeteria food, and volunteer-cooked meals at the Ronald McDonald House, I now appreciate more than ever the chance to cook and share a meal with my family. 

This fall, I have so much to be thankful for.  My heart is filled with gratitude for God's grace to me and my family. 

Enjoy your Fall!
Bethany


1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear the good news! We have been praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete