“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pushing Pause

Doesn't it seem like we're just always in a rush? Maybe you're not guilty like I am, but it sure seems like I'm always wishing away a moment or not truly enjoying a particular time because I'm thinking about the next thing I need to do. Busy, busy, busy. And minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, days turn to weeks, and before you know it, I'm looking back thinking, "Where did the time go?"

I think it's natural to believe that something better lies ahead for us, and in a way, that's good. But what about those wonderful opportunities to savor a moment that I'm letting slip through my fingers today? When I was a kid, I remember looking at teenagers thinking that I just couldn't wait to be one. And then it was dating and marriage that seemed so perfect. After all, adults get to do whatever they want, whenever they want, right?? Now here I am, thirty-one years old (even typing that makes me choke just a little!), and I'm looking for a brake to slow this train down, or at least a pause button!

Phillip and I were recently reminiscing about our early married days and discussing a remodel job that we did years ago. Then we kind of moved from one topic to the next, and I realized that we sounded a lot like my grandparents sound sometimes when they tell us about some of the events of their lifetime. It kind of dawned on me, again, that I will be them someday! It doesn't help much when Bryson says sweetly, "Mommy, I love you even though you're old!"

If there's any resolution I have made to myself lately, it is to just SLOW DOWN and make the most of today. No, it's not always a beautiful life. In fact, it's kind of noisy and chaotic, but it's mine and filled with so much love! I have to say that with the events over the last 12 months, I feel kind of like I just missed a year of life. But now I'm back to a somewhat "normal" existence, and everyday brings an opportunity to make a memory.

I don't have any beautiful pictures to share tonight, (after all, beautiful pictures, for my crew anyway, are usually not nearly as much fun as they look!) but I do have some of the snapshots I've taken recently just because I couldn't let the moment go by without capturing it! So here's to savoring a few moments of my wonderfully imperfect life!





My boys at the park on a beautiful fall day. Bryson wasn't thrilled about stopping his playing to pose, but I just love Avery's pose. Love these boys!
Bryson's kindergarten school picture. This little guy is the best big brother ever, and I'm so proud of him!
Daddy and Bryson were gone, so Avery and Emerson enjoyed a long bath together. He has finally fallen in love with her...it took awhile, but now he cracks up at almost everything she does.
Em using her big brother as a seat, and you can't tell, but Avery is smiling!  With Bryson at school all day, they're becoming great friends.
Flowers from my husband and kids on my first day back to part-time teaching.  Yes, I'm a lucky woman!
Avery living the good life! :-)
My grandpa has a habit of bringing my kids cotton candy once or twice a week.  He loves his great-grandbabies!  As his hat points out, he's a WWII vet, and his worn, bent hands are trying to keep up with feeding Miss Em that huge ball of sugar!  We're blessed to still have him!
In Mommy's shades!



1 comment: