“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Music to My Ears

With the arctic temperatures we've been having lately, this stay-at-home mom has been staying home more than normal.  Not to mention that this year has been an epic one for influenza, and the thought of my little ones getting it, especially Avery, has pushed my germ paranoia to a new level.  So just to be clear, I've been home A LOT lately.  There are times when staying indoors too much gives me cabin fever, and I'm sure as spring gets closer, that will happen.  But for now, I'm okay with staying home.  I have to admit though, I have become one of those frumpy moms who stays in her pajamas all day.  If I have nowhere to go, I shower and put clean pj's back on.  One would think that being home so much would result in a perfectly clean house, right?  Wrong!  Somehow, we make even bigger messes despite my non-stop cleaning.  Plus, somehow, me getting dressed only results in more laundry, since at some point in the day I usually end up with someone's food...or worse on me.  Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in her shoes...or in my case, pajamas, right?  Don't worry.  I'll be dressed appropriately when the weather warms up and I'm tempted to leave my cozy home.

Anyway, one thing I've enjoyed especially lately has been just listening and watching my kids play together. I absolutely love how my kids are playmates and friends.  Avery wasn't so fond of Emerson when he first got home from the hospital, but he has warmed up to her so much that I think she's officially gone from "noisy, suspicious person" to "entertaining, fun person" in his book.  While Bryson is gone to school during the day, Em and Avery share toys and watch Barney or Elmo together.  She yells and points whenever she sees drool coming from his mouth so that I'll come clean him right away.  She peeks down the back of his diaper and even sticks her nose down there to see if he needs a change.  She waves her hand back and forth and says, "Shoo!"  even if he's clean!  Many times I catch her sitting in his lap, and he's just looking like, "Okay, whatever!"  They giggle and laugh, and she tries to "help" take care of him.  She thinks his therapy sessions are supposed to involve her, and even when the therapists aren't here, she pushes his walker over to him as if to say, "Time to exercise!"  She kisses him, and he gets his hands around her legs or in her hands sometimes.  They're truly so much fun to watch!


At a doctor's appointment together.
Em checking out the diaper situation.


Sharing!









And then Em climbs up in her little chair at the front window as it gets close to time for Bryson to get home from school.  She stands there and points and yells "Bub Bub" until the big yellow bus finally stops in front of our house.  She follows Bryson wherever he goes, whether its down to the basement, up to his bedroom, or into the living room with Avery.  Admittedly, it gets a little noisy, and I have to offer frequent, "Settle down" reminders as they chase each other in circles or hide from one another.  And Em has developed an ear-piercing shriek that must be the result of her being the youngest of three and baby to two big brothers.  She certainly doesn't go unheard!

The other night, Phillip and I were sitting on the couch down stairs talking and all three little ones were up in the boys' room playing.  We heard thumps and shrieks and clapping.  Yes, they were being way too noisy and making way too big of a mess, but I told Phillip that listening to them was what I always envisioned it would be like when I was a mommy.  Of all the many surprises and complications we've had, watching my kids play, love, and learn together is what makes the hard times of being a parent seem so much easier.



Those giggles are like beautiful music to my ears.  And then I'm brought back down to earth again as Bryson yells, "Mo-oom!  Emerson is... (fill in the blank with some annoying or destructive toddler behavior)."

Oh Bryson, I think to myself.  You've not seen anything yet!

Bethany





1 comment:

  1. Children are a blessing...and they grow up to be our dearest friends. You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete