“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Sunday, May 12, 2013

This n' That

Once again, blogging has taken a back seat to my other activities. But I did want to take a second to update about goings-on in the Hoskins' home.

I think most stay-at-home moms probably feel at times like they live in a bubble with little contact with the outside world. I would say that my life has become even more isolated than most for a couple reasons. One, we're still very careful with taking Avery out and about. His immune system is still weaker than normal, and when he gets sick, it's a challenge to deal with. Secondly, taking 3 kids anywhere is frankly very difficult, especially when it involves loading and unloading a wheel chair and then counting on your 20 month old to hold your hand and your six-year-old to follow directions. Thirdly, I'll be honest, I'm not a really social person. So my motivation to drag three kiddos on an outing is pretty low.

So my world really is my kids. These three munchkins are my "friends" in a weird way. They make me laugh and give me a reason to get up in the mornings. But they also wear me out and occasionally raise my blood pressure. :-)

Bryson has been reading so well! Of course, he sometimes uses the wrong word or stumbles over bigger words, but I'm still very proud of him. He has been learning new Bible stories and "preaching" them. Bryson probably worries me the most right now because he's growing up so quickly, and there's so many things I feel like I should be instilling in him.  It's such a mixture of pride and worry that I often feel.  The stakes are just too high on this parenting stuff, and there are no do-overs!  Like all first children, I suppose, he's our little guinea pig we have to learn on. He only has a couple weeks left as a kindergartner and then off to first grade he'll go!  Eeek!

Mr. Avery is pretty much just maintaining with small gains here and there.  Health wise, he has also been stable, and we're soon transitioning to outpatient therapy rather than home-based.  As we venture out into the world, I'm feeling happy but also a little protective.  Little germs are some of our worst enemies!  He still has his bad days, grumpy/fussy days, and low-energy days where he just wants to stay in bed all day (can't say I blame him!), but those days are thankfully not as frequent as they used to be.  In fact, we're making plans to send him to Kindergartnen in the fall.  Yes, I can hardly believe it myself.   It will be a modified schedule in a special education classroom, but it will be the official start to his educational career.  

And then we have my little princess.  Oh, what a rotten little girl she is!  She has become a serious daddy's girl, and starts saying his name pretty much as soon as she wakes up. Every time I get a phone call or text or she hears a noisy car drive by, she says, "Daddy!"  She keeps us laughing with all the faces and silly games she plays.  Since it is very likely she will be our last child, we're spoiling her a little (okay, a lot), and thoroughly enjoying her!

The days are so busy and time passes so quickly, just like so many people warned me it would.  I spend my time trying to keep up and be the best mommy I possibly can.  It's not glamorous, but it's the absolute BEST life ever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment