“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Thoughts on a Quiet Morning!

I'm going to take advantage of this quiet morning to post some of the goings-on around here and a few of my muddled thoughts! We're already over a week into November; I just can't believe how quickly this year is wrapping up.

I'm heading to Indiana for a few days this weekend. Veteran's Day gives Avery a day off school and me a night off from teaching, so the boys and I are gonna pack up and go visit Mom and Dad. I'm really looking forward to it, and I know my mom is too!

The holidays are approaching, and I think the Hoskins' side of my family is in some ways dreading them. I always love this time of year, but I am reluctant to celebrate without Carolyn. It's going to be tough, but by God's grace, we'll make it through. I'm thankful that for the last couple of years since she's been sick, we made sure we were home for the holidays rather than traveling to/from my parents. I've got some great pictures and memories that will last a lifetime. Last year she wasn't feeling up to cooking, and I tried my hand at making fudge for our get-together. The recipe I used flopped (or maybe it was the cook!), so I gave her a call and got her recipe. I was able to make two batches pretty easily. I'm glad that I took the time to get it from her. Regardless of where the recipe came from, it will always be "Carolyn's fudge," and I think I'll give it a try again this year. A few days ago, Bryson and I stopped for a visit at the cemetery. While I want Bryson to remember Mammaw Carolyn, I'm also careful in the way that I talk about her because he gets upset. When we got out of the van and started walking toward her grave, he said, "Mommy, is she still dead?" Of course I told him yes. Then he said, "She's buried under the dirt, Mommy!" Then he spread his arms wide like he was a superhero and started running toward the little mound of dirt. He said, "Don't worry, Mammaw. Bryson's going to save you!" Then he said, "Let's get this dirt off of her!" Poor guy. It's a tough thing to explain to a four-year-old. He ended up leaving a Frankenstein Halloween sticker for her that he was confident she would like. I have no doubt that coming from one of her grandkids, she would have loved it.

We've been enjoying an "Indian summer" for the last few days with temps in the upper 60's. It has been lovely, and Bryson has been enjoying the outdoors once again. Avery has been going to school, clapping his hands, and doing what he does best, SMILE! He's also had a difficulty with this time change, or at least that's what I'm blaming his difficulty going to bed the last few nights on. Shew, I hope he gets through this soon!

Personally, I've been thinking a lot about ways that I can reach out to others. I feel like over the last two years especially, so many people have reached out to us and I haven't given back at all! Phillip said something in his preaching the other night about God saving us to serve, not to sit. That has really stuck with me and reminds me of what another preacher once said about we can either be a sponge or a spring. I definitely want to be a spring; I definitely want to serve! Of course our first obligations lie with service to God and our family. As other busy mothers out there would agree, sometimes it's easy to stop right there! I get so busy with proper discipline of Bryson, spending quality time with him, changing & feeding Avery, taking him to his scheduled therapies and appointments, and getting us all to church on time three services a week...sometimes serving others just doesn't happen! So, I've been making a real effort for the last couple of weeks to reach out. I'm not able to do much, but I've been trying to just call and check on someone who I know has gone through something, send a few cards, and cook a meal for a friend. That Casting Crowns song, "If We are the Body" is one of my favorites, and it's words are so powerful!
If we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way
There is a way

I don't want to get so wrapped up in my own busy personal life that I forget there's a world out there that's hurting too. I can't really do anything about the whole world, but I CAN reach out to those around me. Lord, open my eyes and heart to those who need you!

That pretty much sums up my thoughts and activities recently! I better make the most of what is left of this quiet house! Until next time...
~Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Words can't express what you and Phillip mean to me and Aaron. We truly appreciate your friendship and guidance. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete