“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Little Preacher

My five-year-old has his future all planned out already: he's going to be a farmer and a preacher. I'm not sure how those two go together, but I'm pleased with his choices. Those of you who know Bryson know that he has an overactive imagination, which gets him into trouble pretty much daily. But it has also led him to be completely captivated by Bible stories. Jonah is his all-time favorite by far, and he loves to play church at home and preach about him. His congregation usually consists of Phillip, me, Avery, and Emerson, and his microphone is usually a baking wisk.

Recently, he took his preaching to a whole new level. We were visiting my dad's church on a Sunday morning. At the end of the service, they have the children sing and give out banners to the classes with the highest attendance, offering, etc. The Sunday School Superintendent asked just before dismissal if Bryson would like to preach. Bryson's face turned red, but he nodded his head and walked to the pulpit like a man on a mission. They got him a chair to stand on and a real microphone, and off he went. I think the size of the crowd intimidated him enough that he didn't get excited like he does when it's just us, but he made it through. After it was over, Bro. Culbertson asked if anyone wanted to pray...half-way jokingly I think. One man stood up and said, "I would!" He came to the altar, and the rest of the church came as well for a second altar call.

After church Bryson called Phillip, who was in Cincinnati with Avery, and said, "Daddy, I preached today and touched somebody's heart!" One of the ladies at the church just happened to grab her phone and start recording a few seconds into his "sermon." She only missed his "It's good to be in church today, isn't it?"

Honestly, noting would make me prouder than to have him follow a call to the ministry!

Enjoy!

2 comments: