“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Thoughts on Schools and Teachers

This week, one of the biggest events in the news has been a shooting at a school near Cleveland in Chardon, Ohio. With 3 dead and 2 others wounded, many people are outraged and are speculating why a young person would do such a horrendous thing. Regardless of the reasons, there is simply no excuse and no rational explanation for it. My heart has been so heavy as each new piece of information is uncovered about this young man and the other young people affected.

Being a former public school teacher, this news has struck so close to home for me. I well remember the lockdown drills we used to do regularly with our students to prepare for such a situation, and I taught in a building once where a gun was brought to school by a student. I know the tension that we used to experience as we were sitting absolutely silent in our rooms with our lights out, doors closed/locked, and windows shut just waiting for an administrator to personally come to each room and tell us it was a drill and we were free to continue our class. I am beyond sad that a place where students should be focused on learning life skills and academic concepts that will guide them to reach their full potential as adults has become such a place of violence.

I know that not everyone shares my view, but I am a fan of public schools. I graduated from a public school and spent five years teaching in public schools. I have to say that most of the students there are kind (even if they need to be encouraged occasionally to show it!) human beings with so much promise. Some of the most dedicated people I have ever met are teachers. Generally speaking, I'm not sure there is another profession where people are expected to do more with less, selflessly share of their unpaid time, provide materials at their own expenses, and invest themselves personally in the upcoming generation. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but in most cases, you give a teacher an over-crowded, un-airconditioned room packed with young people who have many special needs and diverse backgrounds, and they will will rise to the occasion and impart knowledge to the little people sitting in those wobbly chairs and broken down desks. The biggest flaw with public education is that people who have never taught are passing legislation that sounds just lovely in theory but is so unrealistic in the classroom. Hmmm...I'll get off my soapbox now.

Anyway, as a mother of a school-aged child now, this situation translates into even more worry for me. I've always thought that I would send my kids to public school for their entire school careers, but lately I've been second guessing myself. Especially since a couple of days after this horrific shooting this week, bullets were found in locker in the little, country middle school I attended in rural New Lebanon. A student was threatening to "shoot the place up," but thankfully, nothing happened, and that student is being expelled. Still, it just makes you wonder what our world is coming to.

I've looked into the eyes of a few students who fit the profile of so many of the school shooters: dark dress, loner, troubled home life, apathetic, and I've wondered what their futures held. I've had some students with some pretty serious records with offenses from multiple grand-theft auto to sexual assault. I've had many students come to class with their ankle bracelets that show the world that they're on house arrest, and I have to say that I've not only wondered about their futures, but my own, since these young people are going to be entering the "real" world, filling jobs that service the public, and bringing their own children into the world. Yikes!

I guess that's why teachers in general are a special breed that they can keep doing what they do day in and day out and still manage to maintain their optimism that they are making a difference. I so admire the teacher in Chardon, Ohio who chased out the shooter from the building before he could finish firing the five rounds left in his gun. I listened to this man speak, and through tears he told the families of the victims that he spent time with their wounded children, wiped their tears, and prayed with them. What a hero and what a role model!

I know this is might seem like a weird posting, but it is what has been on my mind this week...worry about what schools are becoming, worry about protecting my child from such potential danger, and pride and amazement in the educators that give so much everyday.

And those of you who homeschool, I may be asking for tips once Bryson hits middle school age. I never thought I'd do it, but it's sounding a little better everyday!

Peace to you all,
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Read your blogs faithfully..you're in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete