“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Applause for Avery!

For folks with no Saturday plans, we ended up having a busy day! We started the day off right; Bryson and I made pancakes together, and then we had breakfast as a family. After a little housework, we headed out to a birthday party we weren't told about until last minute. (What can I say? My sister is forgetful!) We got to catch up with some good friends we've not seen in awhile. Life sometimes just gets so busy that it's easy to lose track of time and people! After leaving the party, we went to my in-laws and spent several hours chatting and watching the kids play. That's when the big event occurred!

We've been working on hand clapping w/ Avery for quite awhile now. He just doesn't have great coordination yet and doesn't imitate gestures. I recently discovered that if I held his hands together, he would tap his fingers in kind of a clap that only a desperate mama could appreciate. Today at my in-laws though, he took it to the next level. He actually started putting his hands together on his own! I was so thrilled! When we got home, we practiced his new skill again and again, and of course, I got it on video. See the clip below!


It might seem crazy to get so worked up over a 22 month old clapping his hands. But this is a big milestone for Avery! Sometimes it seems that Avery's new skills are few and far between, so progress in ANY form is exciting. Not only is he clapping, but meaningfully imitating an act and following a verbal direction is big news! I praise God for this! I don't know what the future holds for Avery, or for any of my family for that matter, but tonight I am filled with HOPE. There are many nights I lay in bed worrying about Avery's future, but I believe tonight I'll sleep like a baby!

2 comments:

  1. Bethany, I love the face he makes after he claps! :) So exciting! He's a cutie too!
    Check out my blog.
    Love ya,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! So happy for Avery and so glad you could have some hope tonight!

    I love blogs and I'm glad you posted this on FB so I could know about it and read :)

    ReplyDelete