“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just Some Thoughts...

Husband at the gym, boys in the bed...ahhh! Peace and quiet!

I love all three of these guys I live with to death, but I definitely appreciate solitude every once in awhile.

My plans got changed this morning when Avery woke up with a fever. I immediately started to panic. I've always felt sorry for my kids when they have fevers; they just seem so uncomfortable, and there's not much I can do for them, but I have never feared them until the last few months. Since Avery's first febrile seizure, I now get this panicky, sick feeling in my stomach and pretty much watch him like a hulk. He had one little moment this morning where he got really still and started losing his color, and I was sure he was about to seize. Thankfully, his fever broke this afternoon, and I'm hoping we've seen the end of it.

Yesterday, Avery's labs showed a hemoglobin of 11 (awesome!) and platelets of 60,000 (not so great). We're going back again in two weeks and will probably schedule a bone marrow aspiration. The doctor we saw yesterday suggested we do one every three months for a while, and if the marrow does indeed continue to show failure in more than one line of cells (red cells & platelets), that we proceed with a bone marrow transplant. In some ways, that scares me to death. But if the transplant is successful, then Avery's bone marrow failure would be cured! That's almost too amazing for me to even grasp right now. Of course, it would be a really long process with many risks, and we would have to find a match for him.

My house is becoming a maze of boxes as I move into the final stage of packing. I'm a little bit OCD, I admit, so the entire packing/moving process is getting a little crazy. I make lists and then complete them only to make another list. We only have two weeks left in our house, and I'm hoping my sanity will still be intact by then.

Well, with that, I think I'll get off here and enjoy the last few minutes of my solitude. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment