“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Avery's Big Day

Today was Avery's first day of school. Yes, today my two and a half year old got on the bus and went to toddler group at the Southview School, which is a program for children with special needs through the MRDD. I went along today, and I'm so glad I did. I texted Phillip updates and pictures all throughout the afternoon, and at one point Phillip texted back, "I feel like crying. Avery finally looks like he belongs." I actually swallowed back the urge to cry several times as I watched him. Avery sat in a chair like a big boy and clapped his hands during music time. He played in dry rice and with some other learning toys. He sat on a bike during gym time. While Avery was one of the most limited kids there, there were so many with a variety of special needs that Avery just blended in. There's one other student in his class, a little girl named Lily, who uses a walker too. She's really good with it, and Avery just looked at her like he was amazed. They rode in the wagon to and from class together. I know there is no quick-fix for my little guy, but I'm hoping that he thrives at school. Here are a few photos of our day.



No comments:

Post a Comment