“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

It's All About Love!

I have to admit, today has been a bad day. I've been trying not to complain, but I've been so sick last night and today that I'm having a hard time with that. But, despite feeling crummy, I managed to get in some Bible reading today. I love that when I read the Scriptures, even ones I've read or heard over and over, I can see things in a new light.

Today I read in Matthew 5. Jesus had just finished sharing the Beatitudes, then in verses 38-42 He talks about the old law that said, "An eye for an eye." He says here, "But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also."

Then it gets even tougher in verse 43:" You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you...therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

I've read those verses before, but today I was thinking as I read them about how easy it is to love our neighbor or our brothers and sisters when that love is reciprocated, but an enemy? That's a whole different story! And Jesus didn't just say tolerate them; He said to LOVE them. I don't think I have many enemies, but I have been perhaps unfairly treated before, or talked about, or hurt. There have been folks who haven't treated well family members of mine or other people I care about. But the only thing I can control is my response. If Jesus said to love, then I'm sure if we put our faith in Him, He will give us that ability. What will separate a true Christian from the world is our ability to show Christ's love in spite of how we're treated. Like the verse says, if we do that, we can be perfect just like our Heavenly Father, for He has loved us before we ever loved Him. Sometimes I feel quite unlovable, but God in his infinite mercy never stops loving me! I pray that the Lord can open my eyes to the areas in my life where I need to respond in a more Christ-like way.

If you happen to be reading this, I would also appreciate your prayers that the Lord will give me strength to get through this sickness. I know I'm not the only woman to go through pregnancy sickness, but I'm having a hard time with it. Thanks!

Until next time,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment