“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Little Something about Tolerance

Phillip told me yesterday that my blog has been boring lately. What can I say? My blog is an extension of me, and I am kind of a boring person. So let me apologize in advance in case what you're about to read is indeed boring. But, it's what has been on my mind the last little while, and I think I'll feel better if I can write about it.

We live in a world where black and white rarely exists; instead, everything seems to fall into the gray area. Instead of absolutes, the truth is relative according to each person and his or her life experiences. I would imagine that most people would agree that murder is wrong, but then there are a lot of exceptions to the rule when it might be acceptable or at least, when a person might not be responsible for his or her own behavior in committing it.

It's popular to be open-minded. It's politically correct to be tolerant. The funny thing is, I always considered myself a fairly open-minded, non-conforming kind of person in many ways growing up. I avoided the "I can't live without a boyfriend" syndrome that so many young girls suffer from; I pursued education and a career; While I associate myself politically with the conservative side of politics, I'm not blind to the major flaws in our party, nor do I disagree with all liberal views *gasp*. Although I don't think anyone can claim to be totally free from bias, I have always tried to treat people with respect regardless of their race, ethnicity, religion, IQ, disability, etc.

So what is the problem, one might ask? I have been aware for a long time but reminded frequently lately how this attitude of tolerance has crept into the religious circles. I've read a few pieces lately talking about how all individuals find God in different ways, how there is not a "right" or "wrong" way to express our Christianity, how being intolerant is so unchrist-like...you get the picture? I've also noticed some of my own friends and acquaintances that just don't see things like they used to. The standard they once held is slowly becoming a thing of the past, and they are opening themselves up to things they once avoided, all the while maintaining that their relationship with God hasn't changed. While I can appreciate this embracing of diversity within our society, I'm worried about how it is affecting some Christians. People are shying away from any kind of definite beliefs about Christian practices based on fear of offending someone, seeming self-righteous, being labeled a legalist or holier-than-thou. It's so much easier to say, "God sees our hearts. God is love. It's a personal experience. It's about a relationship, not religion."

While I agree with all of those statements, I have to counter that God does see our hearts (and that really scares me sometimes), that God is a God of love, but He is also a jealous God and one of judgment, and that while our relationship is of utmost importance, our religious practices are an extension of that relationship. Many people use the previously mentioned statements as excuses to go on about their lives as they please and believe that God is up in Heaven smiling at everything they do.

I heard a preacher once say that many people want to talk about worshiping, but few want to talk about repenting. Before one can worship, one MUST repent.

At the risk of sounding like a narrow-minded fool, let me share some scriptures that I have read recently. After all, isn't scripture the inspired Word of God and what we will be judged by? I do have a degree in English, so I'm not so blinded to the fact that some literature has many interpretations and can mean something different to different people, and that the written word can be manipulated to mean what one wants if one attempts to take it out of context or twist it. That is certainly not my intention. Here are a few scriptures that are plain, and I believe are unambiguous.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Matthew 7:13-14
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 1 Peter 4: 17-18

I'm no Bible scholar, but I believe that these scriptures are clear about a few things. First, there is only ONE way to God, and that is through His son Jesus. Secondly, there is a broad way that many people are taking. It's easier to travel and easier to find, but the way that leads to eternal life is the narrow way, the more exclusive way, the less traveled way, and there are only a few who find it. Thirdly, not any old thing and any old way will do. The righteous are going to make it in to Heaven by the skin of their teeth. What about the sinner and the ungodly?

A person could go on and on about this topic, but I think I've made my point. I hope I have anyway. Above all things, I want to live a life that is pleasing to God. And yes, I believe that there are things that displease Him. I read a sign somewhere that said something like, "Don't get so open minded that your brains fall out!" It's silly, but true! God, help me not to become so enlightened that I no longer see any black or white; help me not to feel good and and justified in my actions; help me not to worship before I repent. I want to stay on the narrow way that leads to eternal life, because Heaven is my goal!

May God bless!
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Hey Beth! I just stumbled across your blog. Yeah now I can keep up with you all! Congrats on baby Three! Love you all!!

    Odie
    Boggsblogs.com

    ReplyDelete