“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Friday, October 14, 2011

Day -15 and Day -14

Well, yesterday was the day that Avery moved into his temporary home in the Bone Marrow Unit at Cincinnati Children's. I dressed him in his new Elmo pj's (thanks, Aaron & Alicia!), packed his portable dvd player and Barney dvd, his Woody toy that he just loves to pull the string on, and a few changes of clothes. As we were leaving the house, Avery was grinning and clapping. He snoozed on the way there, and when we got him out in the parking garage, he started his loud, happy scream. He just has no idea what is in store for him, and I'm partly glad of that.

Phillip and I aren't so cheerful about the whole thing. It seemed appropriate that the weather turned gloomy and grey yesterday, and as we were traveling to Cincy, it was raining. That's pretty much how we felt. We're just both doing what we have to do and trying to make the best of it, but we're pretty anxious about the whole thing and still in a little bit of shock that it has come to this. Yesterday, Phillip and I were talking about all the people who called, texted, or posted on FB that they were praying for Avery. We just appreciate that so much.

We got Avery settled into his room, and the nurses had to do a few things on his admission, like a nasal swab and dressing and cap change on his central line. He just smiled through it all, and the nurses kept commenting how awesome he was doing. I'm not sure if I should be proud or not, but they also said he had the best nasal swab they've ever done. Apparently, most kids scream their heads off for that one. Not Ave. Piece of cake for him!

I came home last night and Phillip stayed since he was off today. But he is working the weekend, so I'm heading back tonight for the next 3 days. I'll be spending my first night away from my little Emerson, and I'm dreading it for sure. Plus, I'm sure Avery is going to lose his cheerful attitude soon, since they're going to place an ng tube today because of his esophageal problems, and he'll probably start feeling the effects of his chemo in the next day or two. This first kind of chemo he gets for 4 or 5 days is supposed to be the easiest...if there's such thing as "easy" chemo.

In the BMT unit, they count toward the stem cell infusion kind of like a space shuttle launch. So yesterday was day - 16 and today is day - 15. As the count down continues, Avery will feel sicker and the risks of infection will be greater. But, one day at a time, sweet Jesus, is all I'm asking. When I look back over the last few years at what all God has brought us through, my faith feels a little stronger. Each sickness, diagnosis, procedure, has slowly escalated to this climactic event, but I know that He will NEVER leave us or forsake us. My mom used to tell me when I was little and afraid that God sent his angels to watch over us, and that they were even in the room with me. That used to make me feel calm to know that even though my eyes couldn't see it, God was protecting me. I can just imagine Avery's little room filled with guardian angels and God Himself looking down from Heaven at my little boy in his Elmo pjs lying in a hospital bed.

Thanks so much for your prayers for my family!
Blessings to you all,
Bethany

4 comments:

  1. Hope everything goes well,Beth. Praying for you all every day. I know these next few months will be tough but lean on God and He will be your strength. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are following along and praying for you all. We love and appreciate you very much.
    God bless,
    Davy and Kelly

    www.boggsblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, my heart aches for you and your family, and heartache makes me run to God. I have found it to be true that there is a Friend that is closer than a brother....or a father or mother. He is faithful, ever present, loving, merciful, all knowing, and above all of that He is - HE IS! In the morning before the sun rises, in the noon time, the heat of the day, in the evening, in the midnight hour...there is never a moment that He is not aware of your little one's need and your hearts cry. Love and prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your every need!
    God bless,
    Carrie....a sister in the Lord

    ReplyDelete