“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why Me?...Why Not?

Have you ever thought, "Why me?"

I have.

I've caught myself falling into that frame of mind occasionally. After much thought and prayer, I can answer that question with all kinds of reasons, including scriptures from the Bible. I probably should ask myself, "Why not me?"

Have you ever noticed how people blame God sometimes for bad things that happen in life but often fail to praise Him for the good things that happen in life?

I have.

I'm guilty of not thanking God enough for the good things He has done in my life, because every good and perfect gift does come from God, after all. And the bad things that happen, God promised that he would work them for my good.

There are people all over the world facing adversity, many much greater than mine. As my husband preached recently, I want to look at my opposition as an opportunity for God to work.

I'm reminded of a book I read years ago, The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom. She and her entire family were taken prisoner by the Nazi regime for hiding Jews in their home. They were separated and sent to concentration camps where they were forced into hard labor, starved, and treated worse than animals. During her stay, Corrie struggled with anger at the injustice she saw and questioned why God would allow such pain. Corrie's sister, Betsie, who though was physically weaker was a woman of unshakable faith, took every opportunity inside the camp to share the love of Jesus and, although she died there, even planned how she would use the experience to reach others on her release. Some of her last words to Corrie before dying in that terrible place of torture were these: "We must tell them that there is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still. They will listen to us, Corrie, because we have been here."

You know, we can tell others of God's keeping power, deliverance, healing, and strength, but how much more of a testimony when we have been there...when we have experienced God's keeping power, deliverance, healing, and strength right in the middle of the greatest trial of our life.

Here I am, believing with all my heart that God is going to be faithful in my trial. I would never equate the adversities I have faced in life with being imprisoned in a concentration camp, but when I'm seeking an answer, I'd love to be able to have Betsie's attitude. God's love is deeper than any pit, and someday others will listen to us because we have been there.

God bless,
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, this is absolutely beautiful. It grabbed my heart and also amazed me that someone so young can be so wise, too. Too often we don't acknowledge the questions we ask our Heavenly Father, but this is real life. I strive to be authentic because someone else may need to know that I question God, too. Yet still in the questions there is trust. I love what your husband said -- may God take my opposition as an opportunity to work.

    ReplyDelete