“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Friday, April 23, 2010

Another Day in the Life of Avery

We're sitting here in the hospital room waiting for the doctor to officially discharge Avery. I'm absolutely exhausted! I'm pretty sure it's cruel and unusual punishment to force parents to sleep on these little pull-out chairs they call beds - as if we don't have enough stress in our lives; let's add sleep depravation. If I were rich, I think I would provide the funds to put a comfortable recliner, bed, futon, or even cot in each of these rooms here. I guess I'm sounding pretty gripy, and I don't mean to. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Yesterday Avery gave us yet another scare. Phillip and I were out house-hunting, and my mom and sister were watching Avery, who was still sleeping. Mom called me to say that he was still asleep, and I told her to go check on him. I always get a little worried when he does anything too out of the ordinary. She went ahead and got him up, but he wouldn't take his bottle. A few minutes later, Phillip, Bryson, and I pulled up in front of the house to find my mom holding Avery on my front steps saying, "Hurry! He's having a seizure and isn't breathing!" This mommy's heart fell to her toes, and Phillip told me to go get the Dyastat, which is the emergency seizure medicine that we have for just such a situatino. As Phillip put the truck in park, I jumped out of the passengers seat, kicked my wedge heeled sandals in the grass, pulled up my skirt and ran to my bedroom for the medicine. Meanwhile, my sister had called 9-1-1. Phillip gave Avery the Dyastat, and he still wasn't responding, but at least he wasn't as blue as he was. To make a long story short, we were brought by ambulance to the ER, and Avery wasn't responsive at all until about 2 minutes prior to arrival. He had a 103.3 fever, and since he has a complicated medical history, we were seen pretty quickly.

As Phillip and I sat in the ER waiting to be taken up to a room, I looked at him and said, "Is this going to be our life forever?" It's getting to be a de-ja-vu-like experience, and it's pretty bad when you are recognized by nurses, receptionists, residents, and doctors in the cafeteria.

Watching the nurses try for the 9th time last night to get an IV started on Avery just broke my heart. His IV they got in the ER had blown, and after IV therapy blew 3 more veins, they gave up for the night. Watching him cry as they hold him down and dig in his veins makes me feel so helpless and guilty. I wonder what is going through his mind, and part of me is thankful that Avery is oblivious to many of the things he endures!

Today Avery has been much better. His EEG was clear as his 2 previous ones have been. The neurologists said his seizures are "atypical" since he doesn't convulse. We weren't surprised to hear that since "atypical" pretty much describes Avery perfectly. Whatever caused the fever seems to have come and gone, and I'm incredibly thankful that Avery is doing so much better.

I can't wait to get home, close the door, and spend the evening with both of my babies. I miss Bryson so bad and feel so guilty for having to leave him too! He's too little to understand what's going on; he just knows Avery is always sick and sees a lot of doctors. I'm looking forward to sleeping in a real bed and hopefully having a boring Saturday tomorrow! We've had more than our share of excitement.

Before I end this blog and hopefully get out of this hospital, I have to say that I am SO blessed to have such an amazing husband. I knew he was a good man when I married him, but I appreciate him so much more since we've been through some tough times. He acts quickly in a crisis, and he's so strong for us. He's been beyond supportive and helpful, and I really don't think I could go through all of this without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment