“Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” ~Willa Cather

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hello, 29!

Tonight on the eve of my 29th birthday, I'm feeling a little sentimental. The boys are asleep, Phillip got called into work for a couple of hours, and I'm sitting here in a quiet house watching the last few minutes of my 28th year pass.

It's funny how the older I get, the less important my birthdays are to me; in fact, I wouldn't mind forgetting them altogether! Turning 16, 18, 20, and 25 seemed like milestones, but tonight I'm feeling just plain old! 29...that sounds just way too close to the big 3-0. Somehow, I guess I thought everyone else around me would age while I stayed young. With Phillip being 4 1/2 years older than me, I've given him a hard time over the years about being old. And here I am, replaying the same birthdays I teased him about.

If I could somehow freeze time, I think I would. In my 28 years, I've not accomplished a lot by some standards, but I've got a pretty great life. I've done the college thing, had a fulfilling career, and have now moved on to the family phase, and I LOVE it. Not to mention that I have an amazing husband who has been with me the last ten years through thick and thin. Yep, even though my life's not without challenges, if I could, I'd make time stand still and enjoy these days of unlimited hugs and cuddling from my two little boys and having Phillip by my side.

But then, I've heard many older folks say they'd never go back and redo their younger years, and I get that. When I think back to my teenage years, the dating phase, the college years, and our early years of marriage, I think that I wouldn't want to do them over either. Of course, they were filled with some amazing memories, but they also included an abundance of struggles and lessons learned the hard way.

So I guess it's not about your age, it's about enjoying the moment you're in. I don't want to focus on my past or keep waiting for the future when life will magically get easier. I have to remind myself to slow down and make the most of today. Who knows what 29 will hold? Only God, and as the Scripture says, what I commit to him, he will keep in perfect peace.

Only 8 more minutes until it's official...good-bye 28. Hello, 29!

Here's a few pics of my little rascals from the last couple of weeks. We've been busy, busy, busy, as you can see!




No comments:

Post a Comment